- Teeth - holy moly! I thought getting front teeth were bad but its nothing compared to these gosh darn molars. It's as if someone replaces my happy smiley baby with a cranky pants non-eating/sleeping/playing little monster who has a meltdown every time we look at him wrong. Thank heavens for clips of elmo on youtube! (its true I've joined the throngs of medicore parenting and soothed my child with mass media...sigh)
- The naughtiness - G is into everything, and try as we might to distract him away from baby inappropriate objects he just keeps going back. I just feel like we're in this phase where he has the physical ability to do so much but not so much the mental ability to remember that mommy and daddy don't want me to tear the pages out of their books....or that sitting on the cat is a bad idea.
- Diaper Changes - Ever since he was about 7 months G has fought diaper changes like we were trying to cut off his legs rather than change his pants. I thought it was just a phase but its been one heck of a long phase. We've tried holding him still, giving him toys, giving him food, nicely telling him he needs to hold still, firmly telling him to hold still.....singing and bribes. But it all ends the same, with a screaming toddler crawling away from his frustrated parent with a half attached poopy diaper hanging off his bum. (any advice on how to make this oh so common occurrence more peaceful would be much appreciated!)
Things I (really really) Love (and totally make up for all of the above complaints)
- The Kisses - G gives these out far and few between but they light up my day when he decides to plant one on me. Its usually when we're on the floor playing, he'll crawl up to me and lean in and then crawl away laughing hysterically.
- Books - G has recently started to love books! and I love it! I love watching him crawl over the the shelf and pull out a book, crawl over to me, hand me the book and climb into my lap. I love how he points at all the pictures and makes his "ooo ooo" noise when he wants me to read it again.
- His curious nature - G loves to explore everything! nothing goes unnoticed by this little guy. Its so fun watching him experience new things like splashing water and playing in the sand, wouldn't it be great to be able to experience everything new again?
- Becoming a Mother - my friend emili posted this quote on her wall the other day and I really took it to heart "It takes all the years of making a boy into a man — to teach a woman how to be a mother". Being a mom has been one of the best...and most challenging things I have ever done, and I am still learning how to become one. Such a great reminder that God is not finished with us yet and that on our journey to becoming a mother he uses our children, our experiences, our successes and our failures to mold us.
G and Daddy enjoying one of his favorite books
Isn't that quote the best? And so true. And in some ways, scary.
ReplyDeleteMotherhood is such a conundrum! :)